Thursday, March 04, 2010


World Book Day!


It's World Book Day! Hooray! My daughter, Daisy, scooted off to school with an extra bag, containing her favourite book and a hat to match. And nope, it wasn't 'The Pirate Cruncher'. It was Julia Donaldson's and Axel Sheffler's 'Room on the Broom'! Daisy had her witch's hat in the same bag, and when we arrived at school they were twenty kids in different hats all chattering away excitedly. Kids love books! And hats!

So my daughter's favourite book isn't 'The Pirate Cruncher', but someone out there likes it, because I found out the other day that I've been nominated for the "Read it Again!" Cambridgeshire Children's Picture Book Award! The award is for a book published in 2009 by a first time author/illustrator, and I'm very excited!

It's great to be nominated, but more importantly, it's fantastic to know that there will be so many children reading my book (and those by the other nominees) in their schools. As a newbie to the world of children's books, I've had limited experience reading my book in front of children, but when I have dressed up and read aloud it's inspiring to see how enthusiastic the children can be, especially in a group situation.

The award launches today, ('World Book Day'!) and the winner will be chosen by the children of Cambridgeshire, who will vote for their favourite book. I think it's brilliant that the children make the decision, and I'm hoping they'll see the picture of me in my pirate outfit and be too scared not to vote for me.....

One more thing.... A few months ago I took part in the 'Big Draw' event at the Discover Centre in Stratford, London. This weekend, it's the turn of the 'Big Write'! The event starts today and runs for four days. There are a host of authors and illustrators, including Axel Scheffler, Emma Chichester Clark, Cressida Cowell, Dugald Steer (aka Dr. Ernest Drake) and fellow Arena illustrator, Matt Buckingham, who will be talking through the process of creating a picture book with his new book 'Bright Stanley and the Cave Monster'.

And for any budding illustrators who've managed to spot my new blog in time, on Friday night there's an adult event discussing picture books and how to become a picture book artist and/or author, featuring none other than my lovely agent, Tamlyn Francis!



Here's the programme cover, with a lovely illustration by Adam Stower!


1 comment:

Isaac Orloff Illustration said...

looks like i have the pleasure of the first comment! just came across your website as i was googling pirates, im working on a piece with pirates and aliens and holy cow i hope i can make my pirates look as cool as yours. welcome to the blogging world!